Established in 1843, The St Andrews Golf Club is one of the most historic golf clubs in the world with its clubhouse overlooking the 18th green of the Old Course, home of the Open Championship.
The club crest had not changed for almost 100 years but during this time had seen a great many slight variations, especially in more recent years where several suppliers using the identity had either redrawn or badly copied the crest.
The end result was inconsistent reproductions almost everywhere you looked.
The brief was to take the opportunity to create a definitive logo and identity guidelines so that in future everything would be consistent and correct.
A classic example of where under design what was required, we were not reinventing the wheel but rather tidying everything up and make some minor changes to improve the visual balance of the crest.
In addition, and just as important was to provide clear, simple guidelines for the club to use when using either the crest or anything that visually represented the club. Appointing an internal brand guardian to monitor the future applications of the identity was also integral to the successful implementation of the changes.